Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Comprehension Extension

Welcome to the summer of 2010...
who wants to run through my sprinkler?























The other day I went canoeing with the Out-of-the-Box club. The oddest sensation was being in the water, at the same level as the water, but not getting wet. I was one with the current.

While I was paddling along, I approached a fisherman alone on a dingy boat. I told him that I would give him a jawbreaker in exchange for a life story. He responded that he did not like candy, but I insisted that he tell me a life story anyway. After only a moments hesitation he went on to tell me a fantastically horrifying story of his near-death experience with a tornado. He had to get out of his car, run into a ditch, and watch the twister tear up his neighborhood.

I was excited about the story, so I asked him if it had changed his philosophy on life. I asked if it made him appreciate his existence, or if it made him a better person. He responded,



"No... It was just really scary."


Ted Vasin












Today, I was biking home from school when I saw a lemonade stand. There were four girls and they were selling lemonade and brownies. My first thought was,
I can't afford those. I then realized they were not of Starbucks value, and that both treats would probably cost less than the 50 cents I had in my pocket. My next thought was, there is no way I have time to stop. I soon remembered that it's summer and I was headed absolutely nowhere.

By the time I finished this cognition, I was already halfway down the block.

Why is this significant?

Because while I was coming up for excuses why NOT to make a purchase, I already passed the opportunity. I've been there- I know what it's like to be 7 years old and have nothing to do but bake brownies and sit on the side of the street, and that even one sale would put a smile on my face. I felt terrible.

So, for me, the next time you pass a lemonade stand, make a stop. Don't let the opportunity just pass you by. It might even be good lemonade.





(this story may or may not be a metaphor)


Damon Soule










My interpretation of music has a great deal to do with the setting, mood, and time when I listen to it. For example, I might hear a song when I'm content and have a certain opinion on the meaning of the song. If it is a song that I associate with good memories, that also may contribute to my perception.

However, if I listen to the same song at a different point in time--let's say I've matured, or I'm dealing with an inner conflict--I might gather an altered meaning to the same song. It's something interesting to think about when you're alone and have time to reflect.

The various times and places you listen to a song don't always change your perception of it. Nonetheless, it does add a different dimension to the song, and thus a greater appreciation of it.

It is also noteworthy how not only one's emotion changes music, but music changes one's emotions. I feel like we are all reflections of the music we listen to- what beat is playing in the background of our everyday lives. There's something healing about it.






Very impressive design blog by my friend Jordan. While the cool graphics caught my eye at first, his writing style is hilarious and something we can all relate to: http://killinginthename.com/?x=portfolio




No comments: