Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Oddsac

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Today is one of the best days of the year because not only am I Irish, but everyone is wearing my favorite color green. I gave my Consumer Ed teacher a card with a leprechaun on it and he later put it on his fridge.


Tonight I went to the Animal Collective movie, Oddsac, which was essentially an hour long music video (and hipster convention) meant to blow your mind and let the pieces soar out of this world. It was a creative collaboration of music and video that had whole 10 minute sections that must've been designed to let the audience space out into their own thoughts and let their minds wander to repetitive electronic beats: Oddsac Trailer. I think Animal Collective's main theme is that we humans are animals too, and sometimes we get carried away in everyday tasks and fail to recognize the nature inside of all us.


If plants and animals are alive, and we are fundamentally animals anyway, why do humans have a "God" and other lifeforms do not? What makes us different from the animals, anyway?


If you know the answer, please let me know. I'm really curious.













In the spirit of St. Patty's day festivities, a tribute to the O'Malley clan:

A friend of mine, let's call him Buddy, lives next door to my grandparents. They are tree-hugging artists who are active members in their local garden and environmental clubs. One night, Buddy had a party. The next day, he was throwing the empty beer cans over a neighbor's fence into another neighbor's lawn. After Buddy had left, my grandpa went to the lawn and started to pick up each beer can individually and put them in a plastic bag. When he was done, he walked over to Buddy's front door and hung the bag on the doorknob. On the bag, he left a note that read "Please Recycle".






Cool website I found, thought provoking art and animation: http://www.changethethought.com/category/art/

No comments: