Thursday, March 11, 2010

Alice In Wonderland Review




Last night I saw the incredible Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland, a sequel to Lewis Carroll's classic version of the infamous tale. I was super impressed with the creativity throughout the movie- creating a new storyline of Alice as a 19 year old and her visiting the dream world that she visited as a child.


I thought the movie was absolutely amazing and I'm glad they changed the story a bit, because it would be very hard to do the original movie justice. I loved the imagery, especially the forest of mushrooms,
and the hookah caterpillar was pretty cool too. I thought Alice's dresses were a nice variation from the original, emphasizing a modern-day impression of her outfits.


My infatuation with Alice in Wonderland is because her story is similar to my own. In the real world, Alice's life is predestined by her parents and she has little free will. Wonderland is her escape from this reality. In Wonderland, Alice can control everything that happens. Her fantasy world is a manifestation of her imagination, and a place where she can discover who she is. She befriends lunatics such as the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire cat, who help her defeat the Queen of Hearts.

"I believe I'm going bonkers!"
"Yes. But the best people are."

Ultimately, Alice is given a choice on which path she wants to take. You can tell that Alice loves the ability to make decisions about her life. Deciding to return to the "real world" (whatever that is), Alice has to say goodbye to the Mad Hatter and the world that she loves, although I do not doubt that she will go back one day.



I am at a point in my life when I have to say goodbye to childhood and enter "the real world" or, at least, college. Like Alice, I'm having a hard time letting go of the fun and lunacy that my life has been up to the this point. However, I will bring my own Wonderland with me wherever I go.









"Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast"
-Lewis Carroll

No comments: