Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fuzzy Memories

As anyone else, I've had many interesting experiences lately. We all find different things exciting, but these, to me at least, were the most notable:


-Breaking a board in half with my fist: During Out-of-the-Box club, we had a martial arts "expert" (his expertise was questionable) come in to teach us about the physics and training involved in his sport. To my pleasant surprise, he taught us that success has to do with your state of mind. If you encourage yourself enough, you will find the adrenaline inside of you to accomplish your goal. After he was done explaining this, he proceeded to break a board in half with his fist. Seeing a few boards on the table behind him, I jumped at the opportunity knowing that I would probably never be able to try this again. I stood up, my body already buzzing with adrenaline, as he began to walk me through the arm motion. He put the board in front of me. I looked at it once. I swung my arm and struck the board with as much force as I could muster, following through the broken wood shards until I heard the entire club cheering in excitement. I am looking at the two wood halves in my room, sitting with pride on my dresser, and I do encourage you to take opportunities when they come knocking at your door.


-Talking with the friendly neighborhood Jehovah's Witness, Mark: Walking into the train station to meet my friends, I did not expect to find them sitting in front of a normal looking, 40-something year old man holding a bible. Claiming that he could tell us the future, Mark preached to us how the economic, politic and moral world was going to collapse soon and God would intervene to salvage us from extinction. Using quotes from the bible, he attempted to answer all of our skeptical questions regarding evolution and creation. Among other things, Mark agreed with me that man has to return to nature to be salvaged. Most importantly, when I asked him "When humans flee the earth and live on other planets, will God be there too?", he answered "Yes."




Memories will lay in our subconscious forever unless we make a point to write them down. We as humans are constantly creating "fake memories", which are in fact memories that are changed by our own imaginations, usually to make them easier to cope with or understand (it is beneficial for humans to move on after trauma so that they can be productive). False memories explain why different people will remember an event differently. For example:
"Hey, remember when the goat nibbled on your mom's pants?"
"That wasn't my mom. That was you."

This being said, I would like to write down a few memories that have resurfaced lately, and I promise they are probably not fake.

-One time, while on a trip with my brother's hockey team to their tournament in Michigan, we went out to a bar and the boys were enjoying some karaoke. My brother, roughly 11 years old and still chubby at the time, decided to ham it up and sing "Paradise City" in front of all the players and parents. While on stage and in the middle of one of the guitar solos, Denny grabbed the mic chord and started swinging the mic in circles. With a huge grin spread across his big, round cheeks he started skipping across stage while rapidly swinging the mic as everyone in the entire restaurant turned their heads to watch the entertainment. All of a sudden, the music stopped and the host walked forward and grabbed the mic mid-swing. "Will you please stop swinging the mic? Thanks." They started playing the music again, yet it was obvious that Denny had lost his mojo.

-During a spontaneous family vacation to San Fransisco, we were weaving in and out of the shops and casually walking down the street, minding our own business. To see what happens next, watch the following video: The Bush Man





Last but not least, I encountered an interesting concept, the Cat Cafe. Supposedly, it is a huge trend in Japan to meet for coffee with cats instead of people. Why not in America? I see this as something our country needs to address.

No comments: